Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 42: Egypt Pre-Port

The wonderful cycle of two class days followed by a port continues.  Overall today was a pretty typical pre-port day.  We had a great lecture in Global Studies about the current state of economic and political affairs in Egypt.  I know that probably sounds incredibly exciting but it really is interesting when presented from the perspective of "you're actually gonna be there tomorrow!"  My test in Abnormal Psych went well.  I don't want to get too confident but I feel like studying for psychology isn't that bad compared to the mass amounts of memorization required for something like biology that I'm used to.

This is pretty random but I forgot to include it the other day and it's definitely blog worthy.  I mentioned a few posts ago about how our Turkish Air flight from Izmir to Istanbul had one of the rougher/just plain disturbingly scary landings I've been through.  Talking with my Infectious Disease professor the other day I leaned that we actually blew a tire upon landing.  That would probably explain the strange skid and swerve thing.  Overall only one tire in a group of four isn't that big of a deal but it was exciting nonetheless.

We've been a little spoiled the last few weeks in the Mediterranean with really calm seas but the wind and swells picked up today and we started rocking a bit more.  It's always fun to be taking a test (on a meal tray, mind you; we don't have desks) with the scantron or test form sliding sliding away every few questions.  I went to the seminar by our inter-port Egypt lecturers this evening followed by the logistical pre-port session.  Egypt, along with Morocco, will be one of the shadier ports so there's a lot to think about (and I'm glad I'm on an organized SAS trip) but I'm still really looking forward it.  My parents should be in Cairo for the evening tonight and will arrive on board the ship tomorrow morning.  Tomorrow at this time we should be together in Cairo.  That's all for now, I have to figure out how to pack five days worth of stuff in my backpack.

No comments: